December 12, 2005

My Dream: VIII

I wish my streak of nights with memorable dreams ended at four. It didn't. Last night I had the most horrible dream I have had...ever. This dream is not for the tender hearted so if you are emotional you may want to surf over to This Page and find out what's happening in only 53 short days!

VIII. THIS WAS A DREAM. This did NOT happen.

So for some strange reason I am standing in the front yard of my childhood yard. It still looks exactly as it did when I lived there. There are three well worn dirt spots on the front yard - One for home, first, second, and third base. I am no longer a child though. As a matter of fact my sons Josh & Drew are with me. Josh for some unknown reason decides to walk across the street to neighbor's house. This is a small road (Carrin Dr. off of Appalachee Parkway) so we are not concerned about traffic. A car is coming but it is far enough off that Josh crosses the road without incident.

There were two things that we didn't notice. First, that Drew was following Josh across the street and two that there was a neon green car flying right behind the one that Josh avoided.

To my horror what I witnessed next left me shaken. The neon green car saw Drew at the last minute. He could have avoided him but he panicked and swerved right into him. As he struck him, Drew went flying onto the hood, rolled up onto the windshield and flew off the side of the car. I began to call 911. As I'm running toward Drew and listening to the phone ring I begin to scream over and over, "Jesus, you have got to save him. I have got to have that boy!". At this point I woke up.

After waking up from a dream like this I was obviously a little overwhelmed. I got out of bed immediately and began to write down some thoughts on what I had just, 'experienced'. This being my fifth straight dream I asked God to show me if He was trying to tell me something. Following are some of the thoughts I jotted down.

(1) The car had hit Drew lost control. As much as our kids may be a priority to us that is not the case with the rest of the population. We have a responsibility to protect our kids from people who don't consider their best interest on a daily basis as parents do.

(2) Drew followed Josh. This is not a reflection on Josh...But human behavior in general. Josh was doing something he was perfectly capable of handling. He was crossing a small street. What he didn't consider was that someone was following him who could not handle the same responsibility. Don't assume that because you can do something that you should do something. You are influencing people. You have a responsibility to consider them which may mean sacrificing some things you feel like you can handle without harm.

(3) At 1:45am I am dreaming that I am screaming, "Jesus, you have got to save him. I have got to have that boy!" At 8:15 I am doing a Bible study at Northwoods on Genesis 22 in which Abraham is tested by God to see if He is willing to trust God even to the point of sacrificing his son. I think I failed the test - At least in dreamland.

(4) I'm not sure what this means but I found it interesting. In the midst of the chaos and tragedy of what is happening I remember a glimmer of positive emotion. I'm running toward Drew, listening to the phone ring, screaming at Jesus and yet I look at Josh and see he hasn't even turned around. He is still walking toward the house with no clue any of this has happened. I feel good for him that at least for a few more minutes he has avoided what the emotional turmoil the rest of us find ourselves in.



tags: