July 06, 2005

God's sovereignty as An Excuse for Failure

Have you ever used God's sovereignty as an excuse for failure? We would never phrase it like that. We say things like, 'I guess it just wasn't meant to be' or 'I guess it wasn't in the LORD's will.' Erwin McManus says this kind of fatalistic thinking in Christian thought is a major creativity killer. It made me think of how often I blame God for lack of results in my own life when in reality God has sovereignly given me everything I need to advance His Kingdom.

Before we blame God let's look at ourselves and ask the tough questions. Are we disciplined? Are we obedient? Are we living with timidity? If so we are not in the will of God because God has called us to be disciplined. He has commanded us to be obedient and He has given us a Spirit of courage.


You can hear Erwin here. Just scroll down to the message called Create.

tags: