June 21, 2005

Where Do You Want to Be?

Last night it was time to put the new kittens into the laundry room for the night. The kittens do NOT like being shut in the laundry room. I could only find one (Kirby, formerly known as Sida which apparently means AIDS in Spanish)so I put Kirby in alone. After a few minutes I heard very loud cat crying. I assumed it was Kirby wanting out. So I ignored it for awhile assuming she would adjust and find contentment in the laundry room. No such luck. The wailing only grew louder. I went to check on her and what I found was that Kirby was not crying wanting out of the laundry room, Pubbles was crying wanting in. Why would Pubbles want in, they hate being locked in the laundry room? Simple. That's where Kirby was and for good or ill if that's where Kirby is than that's where her brother Pebbles wants to be.

Where do you want to be? One major lesson I've learned in youth ministry is that programming is a very small part of whether or not people want to come. People want to know who will be there and how will they be treated. Are we treating people so well that they want to be there regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the program. I don't think we are there yet. Let's pray that God will take us there.

tags: