June 14, 2005

Yankee Stadium's Grand opening 2009


The view from left field in Yankee Stadium

I heard tonight the Yankees are building a new stadium next to the old Yankee Stadium. Yankee stadium, built in 1923, is the third oldest stadium in existence Wrigley Field (yes, field not stadium Jeff Gordon)and Fenway Park are older. As much as I love historical landmarks I think I like the idea of the Yankees having a brand new stadium. The first major league game I saw was at Yankee stadium in 1987. I was in left field and could not see a thing (that's when I was young and my eye sight was still good). I thought major league baseball stunk! I was used to watching games at Dick Howser (home of the Seminoles for those of you not familiar with Florida State baseball)where you are on top of the field and can look into the eyes of every person on the field. Watching the game at Yankee stadium was a huge disappointment. Yea, I had a great view of Ricky Henderson in center field and Claudell Washington in left but I just had to take the announcers word for it...the speck on first base was hall of famer Don Mattingly and pitching that night was Joe Neikro. My favorite Yankee at the time, Dave Winfield, was the DH or at least that's what the PA guy said. I couldn't see well enough to verify it. Than I went to a game at Turner field. It was awesome. You can see everything. Of course Laurie's brother hooked us up with some tickets behind home plate but even just walking around the stadium every spot felt like you were right there on the action. I'm sure Steinbrenner will make the new Yankee Stadium the best of the best. It's supposed to be ready for the 2009 season. When can I put my order in for opening day tickets? It's only fitting that the best team money can buy (for you cynics out there)should have the best stadium money can buy. I for one like the idea of progress over history on this one.

tags: