March 07, 2006

Rush Limbaugh - American Hero or American Idiot?


Full disclosure...there was a time when I was a fairly big Rush Limbaugh fan. However, the evidence is steadily piling up that he is no American hero. Never mind his personal issues. I don't know him personally nor do I know the details of his life so I'll stick to what he says on his radio show.

I'm driving yesterday and am pleasantly surprised to hear a girl on Rush's show speaking as if she was giving a lesson during our Surfside High series. She says (in paraphrase), "you know Rush, I don't have a boyfriend and I'm okay with that. I am completely satisfied in my relationship with God. He is all I need. If a man comes along that is fine. But in the meantime I am perfectly content to be single". I am thinking, 'yes, this is great. Right now millions of people are hearing this lady speak this great truth.’ Then Rush ruins it all with one of the stupidest comments in the history of language. Here is what he said, "are you a lesbian?”

He completely took what could have been great words of encouragement for the millions of singles that were listening and completely turned it on its head and turned it into one of the absolute rudest things you could ever say to someone who happens to not be married. What a fraud. She handled it well and of course explained that she was not a lesbian, simply a content single.