February 23, 2006

Everything I Learned at Church...

Everything I learned at church I learned on Monday - Saturday. Okay not everything. I just wonder when we came to embrace the idea that church is all about sitting and listening to a preacher talk and assuming that is where our growth comes from. The last three Wednesday nights have been amazing at Northwoods. First we baptize 12 kids, 2 students and an adult. The following week we hear amazing testimonies about what God did through the team in Peru, leading 100's of people to Himself. And we see the pictures from the team that went to Romania over Christmas. While we were opening presents and pigging out on ham that team was visiting orphanages and loving dying babies 'til their last breath. And than last night to hear person after person share with the body what God is doing in their lives was amazing. God never ceases to amaze me in the way He knows exactly what we need and when we need it. I listen to a man like Ernie Morrow talk about all the pain he and his family have been through and yet he can see God's purpose in it and I think...that kind of faith does not coming from sitting and listening...it comes from the personal encounters with God that extend way beyond an hour on Sunday morning. That kind of faith comes from a lifetime of trusting God and seeing God continue to be faithful in every circumstance. I need to be around people like that. I know I will go to camp this summer...and the music will be amazingly uplifting and God will bring my heart closer to His through it. The teaching will be moving and it will help me move to a new place in my spiritual walk. But nothing helps me grow more than rubbing shoulders with people who are also running the race. That's what the body of Christ is all about. Living life together and learning from one another. If we are looking for a powerful show...AMC is the place. If it's great concert we want...I'm sure the Civic Center has some on the schedule. But growth comes from living life with people who are learning to live their lives in obedience to Christ. It led me to think about all the things I have learned from just being with people at Northwoods and having the opportunity to see them loving God.

Here's a few. There are many more.

Karina Hansen - focus.
David Bearden - preparation matters.
Scott B. - doing something is always better than not.
Robbin K. - you can endure anything...when you are part of a team.
Dan Doll - just keep loving them. Eventually they'll get it.
Janelle Kuder - rules are not meant to be broken.
Cheri - sometimes you have to fight for what you want.
Reid S. - love must be tough...and soft sometimes.
Calyn - encourage someone and they'll be your friend for life.
Jeff Teague - life is funny.
Tamara - prayer is personal
Pastor John - forgiveness, pray for those who have hurt you.
James - pray on a hunch...not just a request.
Adam Elliott - God is passionate
Daniel - God is big
David - the refreshment of seeing a pure heart
Shannon - God is bigger than our current circumstances.
Doug Shoulders - think about it.
Diane - details matter.
Lori Jackson - Shape matters…but obedience rules.
Jenna Myrick - maturity is not an age.
John & Anji Ventry - courageous abandonment.
Lori Shoulders - people have to know you love them before you can lead them.
Kenley - generosity. Willingness to do 'whatever needs to be done.
Al – growth comes when we are challenged …not coddled.
Rusty Bailes - worship is a matter of the heart.
The Myricks - family life should be fun.
Hyatt - ministry is serving people.
Lauren - Black shoes - Black belt. Brown shoes - Brown belt.
Seth and Jesse - if there is still a need there is still work to do.
Alec Waller - ignorance is no excuse.
Ed Baldwin - being 6'something isn't everything. But it sure helps.
Bucky - just keep running. The pain will go away.
John Steigner - encourage twice as much as you discipline.
Josh Hollingsworth - quiet people can do really loud things.

There are many more. I wish I had time to write them all out. But for now I just want to say thanks...to everyone who is loving God with their lives. Thanks for letting me be a small part of your life. Each one of you is my teacher and as far as I have to go I am grateful to God for where I am because of the influence of each one of you.