October 27, 2005

The Dream Blog

The Dream Blog…

I had a dream last night.  It’s one of those dreams that leave you wondering…What was that all about?

I dreamed we were having ROC on a parking lot.  I don’t know what parking lot…I know it was not Northwoods because it was a white concrete parking lot not a black asphalt parking lot.  The reason I know that detail so clearly is because I was lying on my back in the parking lot.  There was a huge group of students, also lying down on their backs all in a circle.  There was no band or drama or ice breaker game.  

I told the story of Joseph and his brothers.  Not sitting up and looking at anybody, but lying on my back and looking up at the stars above us.  I shared that Joseph’s brothers were guilty of the most grievous offense possible…and against their own brother at that.  They pondered murder…But decided to go a different direction.  What was the new direction? Get rid of him and make a prophet at the same time…Sell him into slavery.  

Years later Joseph had his chance at revenge.  He chose mercy.  He could have put his brothers under…And they knew it.  He chose restoration.  In the dream I lay there…Looked up at the skies and said, “This is how God treat us.  It may feel like there are billions of galaxies between us and God.  But in reality He is waiting and wanting to hold us and love us right now.  He loves you.  Why live in the misery of separation when you can live in the warmth of His love.”

I mentioned two major lessons as I lay on that white concrete parking lot.  “Sometimes we don’t receive God’s mercy until we go through some pain.  Joseph’s brothers thought Benjamin was going to jail.  This scared them.  How sweet God’s mercy must have seemed immediately following that pain.  The other thing is this…We can’t be so far from God that He won’t sweep us back into His arms in an instance.  Just ask Him.  He loves you.  You may be in the middle of pain right now but He is waiting to pour His mercy on you.  Just ask Him.”

Than I woke up...