October 22, 2005

A Day of Snags

Murphy's law was in full force yesterday. Just a few of the things that could have gone wrong and did...

Yesterday morning began like a typical Godby football game day Friday. I came into the church set up the tables and reviewed the pre-game devotion. That's the last part of the day that was typical.

Drew's been sick so after setting up I went home so Laurie could take Drew to the doctor. After being at the doctor for awhile she calls and says, "they've ruled out all the simple stuff so they are taking him back for blood work and x-rays". That's what everyone wants to hear...They've ruled out all the simple stuff. Turns out it is pneumonia. Hearing that was actually a relief compared to all the words that went through my head for that hour and a half.

So Laurie and Drew arrive home and I head to Wal-Mart to pick up the chicken for the Godby meal. I walk up to the counter and say, "I'm here to pick up the large chicken order for Northwoods". They say, "let me check on that". Than they return and say, "we've been swamped we just put down 200 pieces. It will be ready in 30 minutes." I don't have time to wait. I'll have to come back. It's already after 2:00 and the meal begins at 3:00 sharp.

I leave and go back to the church to put on the green beans and put out the cups and roles. I'm pulling out of the parking lot when I realize she said 200 pieces of chicken. We need 250. So I call Laurie and she calls them to confirm they have 250 pieces of chicken. "oh yes, we'll have the 250".

So I get to the church and walk into kitchen to warm up the beans and put out the cups and roles. There is one problem. Someone has snagged the beans, cups & roles. They are gone. Nowhere to be found.

So I'm on my way back to Wal-Mart. The meal is less than 45 minutes away and we don't have a single bite of food to feed the team yet. This is not a good day. I arrive back at Wal-mart, grab some salad to replace the beans, grab some loaves of bread (we bought them out of roles on the first go round) and head to the chicken counter. "We have 200 pieces ready. It'll be another 15 minutes on the other 50". So when Laurie called they said, "oops it was supposed to be 250", and threw in another 50. I go ahead and pay, take what I have to the car and come back inside to wait.

Finally, we have it all and I'm on my way back to the church. I arrive at 2:58 and see the bus has already arrived, a few minutes early of course. Why not on a day like today? We rushed all the food out and served the meal.

So we 'got 'er done'. It was just a little too close for comfort. Thanks to the Cunninghams, Rhonda & Sandra for stepping up and helping us get it done.