March 28, 2005

Taking Easter for Granted

I first began to realize how easy it is for me to take Easter for granted when talking to my son on the way home from church yesterday. We were having a typical Sunday afternoon conversation, “What did you guys talk about in class today”. “Nothing”. “Northing?” “Well, you know the resurrection and all that. Stuff I already know because I’ve heard it a million times”

This was a wake up call. Not for me to lecture him but to reflect on my own attitudes. As I approached Easter yesterday I must admit…much of my attitude was the same as his. I did not anticipate a deep heart felt reminder of what it means to be set free by the power of His resurrection. I expected to see people I haven’t seen in awhile. And I did. I expected the crowd to be up a little. And it was. I expected people to be dressed a little more formally than they typically are. And they were. I did not expect what I really needed…a reminder of the depth of love God has for me…A depth of love that took Him to the cross. I did not expect what I really needed…a reminder that the same power that moved Him from death to life lives in me through His Holy Spirit. God forgive me for low expectations.

And than I read Deuteronomy 8:11 this morning… “Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the LORD your God”. This was no longer a wake up call this was an all out smack in the face. How easy has it become for me to forget... Not intellectually. I work in a church after all. But emotionally - deep down in my heart how often do I remember all that Christ went through so I could be set free? We definitely have ‘the plenty’ spoken of in this verse. Not just ‘plenty’ in the material sense but plenty in the fact that God’s grace has been so abundantly poured out on us. Have I begun to take this for granted?

God remind me of all you did to set me free and help me, even in the abundance of your grace, never to take that for granted.

tags: