March 31, 2005

Gavin Dickey & Trusting God



I went to the Florida State vs. Florida baseball game last night. It was a good night...for my son Josh. He's a Gator fan. It was not a good night for me. I'm all 'Noles all the time. He was talking a little trash on the way to the game. I told him to save it for after the game. He must have been tired. He didn't rub it in too bad after the Gators pretty much had their way with the ‘Noles 9-2. We did sit in the Gator section so he did get a taste of how obnoxious SOME Gator fans can be. I'm not stereotyping because we do have the Animals of Section B. Not exactly a model of non-obnoxious behavior.

Seeing Gavin Dickey playing left field for the Gators caused my mind to wonder. How does he handle his current circumstances? This kid was Mr. Everything in high school. He's from Tallahassee. He won two state titles here at Lincoln High School. He was considered one of the top 4 QB prospects in the country. He signed with Florida...and so did a kid named Chris Leak. Leak's doing alright for himself and so Gavin finds himself No. 2. That can't be easy for a kid that was Mr. Everything. Worse, he and Leak are in the same year. IF Leak goes pro after his junior year that will give Gavin one year at best to shine. I just wonder how he handles all that. I wonder how I would handle it. Right now my circumstances are pretty good. I have a great family, a job I love, good friends...life if pretty good. What if that changed? What if my circumstances crash? Sometimes we don't know what's really inside of us until we have to go through the really tough stuff that life offers. God, help me to trust you when things are good...and when things get tough.



tags: