February 07, 2005

Monday Bloody Monday

It's never been a problem for nurses to find the veins in my hands to place the I.V. - until today. After several attempts she gave up sticking it in my hand and went for the inside of the elbow. That's when it got funny...and bloody. She was so used to failing in her attempt to set the needle that she didn't have it capped when she finally did. The result was blood spraying all over the room. It's funny now. It wasn't then. I was looking away at the time...needles and blood aren't really my thing but when she starting screaming curiosity got the best of me. I looked down to see blood spewing out of my arm. Had she hit one of those arteries that leave you dead in a matter of minutes? Would she be able to stop the bleeding? It's a strange feeling seeing that much blood being sprayed all over the room knowing that is coming out of your body. Of course it wasn't serious or even dangerous. It was simply funny...and messy. She gave up and another nurse came in and set the needle while she began scrubbing the walls, chairs, floors & equipment. I guess someone will come in this evening and get the ceiling.