January 28, 2005

OVERCOMER

Last night I had the priveledge of presenting an award at a football banquet. It reminded me of something...people need less preaching and more example. The award was presented to a young man who's father died midway through the season. This is a guy who really, never even knew his father. Our theme for our pre-game devotions this year was OVERCOMERS. So in my mind...this guy was an overcomer. I think one of the most difficult things for a person, especially a young man to overcome is the lack of a father figure in their life. So I thought as I drove home from that banquet about this young man, about his life and then I thought about myself and my life. Here's a guy who just lost any chance he would ever have of knowing his father. That's a lot to overcome. And he is doing it. He is not looking back with regret or self pity. He's getting up everyday and doing the things he needs to do. He lost his father during the week and showed up and played his role on the team on Friday. Reminds me of a guy named Brett up in Wisconsin. And yet I find myself feeling defeated over and over at the smallest of little set backs in my life. I'm thinking I need to do less telling other people how to overcome challenges in their life and I need to do a little more overcoming myself. Thanks Lee for being an overcomer. Keep it up because life will never get easy. Most of all remember their are no perfect fathers here but there is a God in heaven who is the perfect father and He wants to fill who wholes of every void this life leaves us with.