February 27, 2005

Bill Gates - "America's High Schools Are Obsolete'

America's high schools are obsolete," Gates said. "By obsolete, I don't just mean that they're broken, flawed or underfunded, though a case could be made for every one of those points. By obsolete, I mean our high schools _ even when they're working as designed _ cannot teach all our students what they need to know today."


Pretty strong words. If he's right I hope we have the guts to fix them. Before I jump on the band wagon and become too critical of American's High Schools I need to take a deep breath and ask myself a question. Is our youth ministry becoming more and more obsolete. Are we really accomplishing what we want to accomplish? What do we want to accomplish? We want to influence students toward a new and growing relationship with Christ. Have we done that...Yes. Are we doing that...I hope. Are we willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish that even if it means getting way outside of our comfort zone? God give us the courage and wisdom.