January 01, 2005

As a new year begins...

As a new year begins I'd like...


  • to live with less regret than last year. To not wonder...what if I had worked a little harder...been a little more disciplined...loved a little more...been a little more patient...not given up on difficult relationships so easily...gone out of my way to express kindness a little more often...encouraged a little better...did less for myself and more for others...put my family before myself...avoided the low road of blame and criticism and took the high road of personal responsibility and forgiveness.

  • to memorize more of God's Word. This is always a challenge. I love God's Word. I love to read it. I love to think about it and meditate on it. I just don't discipline myself enough in the memorization of it. Since the cold war ended and no one is telling us that the Russian's are going to come and take all the Bibles away so we better be memorizing it I just haven't taken the time to do it as much as I should.

  • to be more transparent. I need to take more opportunities to go beyond, "I'm fine. How are you?" and more into the arena of, "I'm struggling and could use some help."

  • to have some fun. Looking back on '04 it seems like it was such a 'serious' year. I hope to just enjoy life a little more this year.

  • to be home more (and more at home when I'm in my house). These past two weeks have reminded me of the joy of just being able to hang with friends and family without the pressure of ministry always bearing down. Somehow I 've got to figure out how to release the pressure before coming home and just enjoy being with Laurie and the boys.

  • to be more of a team player. God has called me to youth ministry. I believe youth ministry is critically important because it is such a crucial juncture in every person's spiritual journey. But, other ministries are important too. I need to be more encouraging and helpful to other ministries.

  • to appreciate others more. God has surrounded me with some fantastic people. God has given me a great family. God has blessed us with some great volunteers in the youth ministry. God has placed me on a church staff and most of them are pretty decent people (j/k). I need to be more appreciative of all the people God has placed in my life and not take that for granted.

  • To drop 20 more pounds. O.K. allow me one selfish endeavor here if you would. I need to get to my fighting wait...around 145.

  • Beat Bucky @ the Red Hills Triathlon. O.K. 2 selfish ones. Probably not a realistic goal...but if I can go into the run ahead of him I'd be satisfied even if he passes me in the run. There I go doubting myself already.

  • More confidence in myself (o.k. theologs more confidence in what God can do through me)

I could go on but that's more than I can handle already. Thanks to you all for being great friends and partners in ministry. God bless you and I pray God gives you the desires of your heart in '05.