December 30, 2004

It All Started With a Flash


It all started with a flash at around 1:30 this morning. My son Josh and I had come in from a late movie (Napoleon Dynamite which could be a completely separate blog altogether) and we settled in to watch the first season of Seinfeld on DVD. Who can sleep after a night of Napoleon Dynamite anyway? Not to mention the 32oz coke. Josh began to doze off when out of the corner of my eye I saw something flash. Someone was taking pictures of my house at 1:30am in the morning! This could only mean one thing. Someone had done something to my house they thought was worthy of documentation. I jolted out the door to investigate. I heard screaming as they attempted to get back into the car and make their get away. They would have escaped unknown if the mailbox hadn’t gotten in the way. Darn mailbox.

Were they robbers? No. Vandals? No. Just a few bored college students home for the holidays and looking for a place to swim at 1:30am on a winter morning. This failed attempt did not deter their enthusiasm. The next stop - the Wright’s. It’s now approaching 2:30am and the Wrights don’t live in our town…they live 30 minutes away. What the heck…I rode along. Well, several wrong turns and a very long train later we finally arrived at the Wrights. Maybe now dreams of ice cold swimming would come true for these desperate collegiates. Except one thing…actually three…the Wrights have dogs. Not passive friendly dogs - LOUD friendly dogs. We’d have to settle for pictures with the dogs for proof of the adventure. So we jumped out for pictures. At least four of us did. The other two drove off instead. Now we are cold on a dark farm with howling dogs. We chased. It wasn’t a fair chase. Several hundred yards later the car is out of sight and every dog for 10 miles is howling. We stood around, cold shivering and wondering which of the neighbors would be the first to call the police. Finally, the car returned, we piled in and headed home. We arrived home a little after 4:00am. I crawled back onto the couch (Drew my 3 year old laid claim to my spot on the bed). Finally, a chance to watch a show about nothing.

P.S. Curious about who these polar aquatics are? Click on the title above.
Posted by Hello