December 31, 2004

Monday's Ain't What they Used to Be

As my two week vacation comes to a close the thought occurs to me…Monday’s ain’t what they used to be. I can remember the days when the end of a vacation, or even just a weekend for that matter, would send my stomach into knots and my mood would begin to sour. Just thinking about a return to work on Monday could send me into a depression. Not that the job was all that bad. I had great friends. My boss gave me the flexibility to come and go as I needed in order to continue working on my master’s degree and the work was fun and rewarding. But it wasn’t what I was created to do.

Today, after five plus years in fulltime youth ministry, I still love every minute of it. Not that every minute is pleasant. Many are hard, stressful and even heart breaking more frequently than I like to think about. But even the hard times are good times when you are doing what you were created for. Even tough times are full of excitement when you are doing what God has called you to do.

So today, as vacation winds down and a new year dawns my heart is full of gratitude. I am grateful for the opportunity that has been given me to do everyday what I believe I was created for. My prayer for each one of you today is that you will discover what you were created for and than spend a lifetime immersed in the joy of obeying God everyday.