July 25, 2006

'Youth Minister Challenge...and the winner is..."


The Crowd Anticipating Youth Minister's Challenge 2007

It's been awhile since I've done a 'dream' post so I'll throw this one out there. Last night I had a dream that I was on the verge of my first ever Youth Minister's Challenge Championship. Just to fill you in...at Student Life Camp every year there is a challenge between all of the youth pastors. They are given these crazy games to play such as eating a napkin or putting on a t-shirt that has been frozen like a brick. Well, in my 9 attempts I've fallen short every time. Although I have made it to the finals once (and had to miss the final event due to an emergency) and was most recently robbed of a victory by a very poor call by the referee.

So the dream...for the first time ever student life decided to do the youth minister's challenge according to two criteria...the first criteria was actual youth ministry skills. We all had to write and present a Bible Study. I won hands down. The second was a physical challenge. We had to carry a canoe over a sandy beach...again...it was all me in a land slide. So we were told there would be three contests and each would be worth 25 points. The youth minister with the most points would be the champion. So of course after winning the first two events I was like Floyd Landis on the last day of the Tour de France. It was in the bag and I was enjoying the moment. I was talking some serious smack. Just before I began to feel bad about my prideful attitude and self congratulation over winning my first Youth Minister's Challenge in 9 tries my alarm clock went off and I woke up. Once again I was robbed of experiencing actual victory. But the build up sure was a lot of fun. Maybe '07 is my year.