September 06, 2005

Winning Ugly Beats Losing Every Time



I was sitting next to an Auburn fan at the game last night when one of the dumbest things I've ever heard came out of his mouth, "I'd rather lose like Auburn did on Saturday than win looking like this". He may have lost sight of the goal. The goal of football is not looking pretty. It is not even creating excitement. Football has one goal...score more points than the other team. Period. Who cares how you do that? Style gets no points.

By the way...it's easy to slip into that same stupid mentality in ministry. I've been there. It's easy to think, 'We're doing some good stuff. It all looks so good and there are so many activities going on.' But are any lives being changed? Give me a sloppy messy ministry that produces life change over a well run machine where everybody comes and goes away happy...but not changed...anyday!

tags: