April 21, 2005

Joshua Did What He Was Told

The LORDs Commander Confronts Joshua

As Joshua approached the city of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man facing him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you friend or foe?"
"Neither one," he replied. "I am commander of the LORD's army."

At this, Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence. "I am at your command," Joshua said. "What do you want your servant to do?"

The commander of the LORD's army replied, "Take off your sandals, for this is holy ground." And Joshua did as he was told. Joshua 5:13-15

I love the last six words of that passage, 'Joshua did as he was told'. I read that and think, 'who wouldn't?' If God Himself (most people seem to think this is the Angel of the LORD another term used to describe the preincarnate Christ)appeared to me and gave me some instruction I'm pretty sure I'd get right to work on that. Yes, sir...whatever you want. Or would I? If I am real honest with myself I'll see He has given me plenty to do...He's given me 66 books contained in one volume known as the Bible with my marching orders...how am I doing? It may not be as dramatic as a face to face encounter but it is as authoritative. And yet I usually do what I want, when I want and how I want to do it. God, teach me to obey what I already know to do and quit sitting around for You to give me some dramatic appeal before I'll become obedient.

tags: