December 10, 2004

School Plays or School Haze?

Walking away from my son’s recent ‘Winter Holiday’ concert at his elementary school was quite an eye opening experience. If I had walked in from another planet here is what I would now believe about the reason for the Winter Holidays.

1. Hanukkah – well this one leaves me in a puzzle. I’m sure it has something to do with a temple and rededication but most of all I learned it is spread out over eight days which is really cool because the longer the better when it comes to Winter Holidays. Oh, and do not underestimate the power of the candle. Lighting candles is big when it comes to Winter Holidays.


2. Kwanzaa – this apparently is the most important of the Winter Holidays. At least it’s the once of which the most was spoken. Kwanzaa is apparently a celebration of the family, community and culture. Wow, what could be wrong with that? Oh, and this one is several days as well.

3. Christmas – now this one is odd. Apparently Christmas is the celebration of a couple, Mary and Joseph, who went to pay their taxes and couldn’t find a hotel to stay in. So now earthlings celebrate every year. Wow, that seems like a strange thing to celebrate. But hey, who am I to tell you what to do? After all, I’ve learned from Kwanzaa to celebrate your culture.