November 21, 2005

My Lunch Date

Have you ever wanted the opportunity to make a public address announcement correcting something that's just been broadcast for the world to hear? That's how I felt today when I picked up a friend for lunch. My friend works at the Sherriff's office. I told the lady behind the desk who I came to see. She asked me what the purpose of my visit was and I told her we were going to lunch. That is when she dials my friend and says loudly enough for everyone in the office to hear (as well as the waiting area), 'Ian, your lunch date is here.' Every eye in the place suddenly turned my way. I wanted to scream, 'we're just friends'. But I didn't. I just stood there looking as macho as I possibly could. No this was not a date. This was going to lunch with an old friend.

Anyway, lunch was good. We had a very masculine, manly type discussion about football and his upcoming job with a NASCAAR. He's got a friend that can hook me up with Devil Ray's vs. Yankee tickets next baseball season. We talked about that and several other very manly topics. Not once did we even mention how we feel about anything.